Richard W. “Rick” Rousseau
Colonel (Retired) Rick Rousseau has experience in every aspect of military law following 27 years on active duty as a Judge Advocate (JAG). He served in various positions, including twice as the Staff Judge Advocate (Senior Legal Advisor) for Fort Hood, Regional Defense Counsel, defense counsel, prosecutor, Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, medical claims attorney, administrative law attorney, and legal assistance attorney. Rick Rousseau served as a full-time law professor at The Judge Advocate General’s (JAG) School in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he taught estate planning, federal income taxation, estate & gift taxation, and veterans & survivor benefits. He also published numerous articles on legal assistance issues. He deployed three times as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
Now he is back doing what he enjoys the most and does best— taking care of Servicemembers, military families, retirees, veterans, and residents of Texas.
- Accredited by the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide representation services to claimants before the VA.
- Master of Arts (MA) in National Security and Strategic Studies (2011), U.S. Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island
- Command and General Staff College (2002), Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
- Master of Laws (LLM) in Military Law with a Specialty in Administrative & Civil Law (1997), The Judge Advocate General’s School, U.S. Army, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Master of Laws (LLM) in Taxation (1992), University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD) (1987), South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- Texas Teacher Certificate (1984)
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Education (1982), The University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- Texas City High School (1979), Texas City, Texas
- 2015- current: Adjunct Professor, Business Administration & Paralegal Studies Department, Central Texas College, Killeen, Texas
- 2014 – 2015: Special Assistant to the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters, III Corps and Fort Hood, Texas
- 2013 – 2014: Staff Judge Advocate (SJA) (Senior Legal Advisor), Headquarters, Fort Hood, Texas
- 2012-2013: Director, Justice Sector Division, Interagency Rule of Law Section, U.S. Department of State, U.S. Embassy, Afghanistan
- 2011-2012: Deputy Chairman and Professor of Law, U.S. Naval War College, International Law, Newport, Rhode Island
- 2009-2010: Staff Judge Advocate and Senior Legal Advisor, NATO Training Mission / Combined Security Transition Command – Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan
- 2008-2009: Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters, First U.S. Army, Fort Gillem, Georgia
- 2006-2008: Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters, Fort Hood, Texas
- 2005-2006: Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters, III Corps and Fort Hood, Texas
- 2004-2005: Command Judge Advocate, U.S. Army Central Command, Area Support Group Kuwait, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait
- 2002-2004: Regional Defense Counsel, Southwest Region, U.S. Army Trial Defense Service, Fort Hood, Texas
- 1998-2001: Professor, Administrative & Civil Law Division, The Judge Advocate General’s School, U. S. Army, Charlottesville, VA
- 1997-1998: Senior Defense Counsel, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Casey, Republic of Korea
- 1994-1996: Senior Defense Counsel, 2nd Armored Division / 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood, Texas
- 1993-1994: Chief, Legal Assistance, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, III Corps and Fort Hood, Texas
- 1992-1993: Officer in Charge, Fort Hood Tax Assistance Center, III Corps and Fort Hood, Texas
- 1992-1992: Chief, Administrative Law and Claims, U.S. Army Missile Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
- 1991-1992: Chief, Claims and Legal Assistance, U.S. Army Missile Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
- 1990-1991: Chief, Criminal Law & Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Army Missile Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
- 1989-1990: Chief, Legal Assistance, U.S. Army Missile Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
- 1988-1989: Enlisted Soldier, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Fort Benning Georgia
- 1988: Basic Combat Training, Fort Dix, New Jersey
- 1983-1987: Office Manager/Law Clerk, Law Office of Lawrence A. Rousseau, Houston, Texas
- Meritorious Honor Award, U.S. State Department, Exceptionally Distinguished Service (2013)
- Received the President’s Gold Volunteer Service Award from President George W. Bush for service on the Taxpayer Advocacy Panel (a Federal Advisory Panel appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury) (2005-2008)
- Military Awards and Decorations: Legion of Merit (with Bronze Oak Leaf), Bronze Star (with Bronze Oak Leaf), Meritorious Service Medal (with Silver Oak Leaf, 4 Bronze Oak Leaves), NATO Non-Article 5 Medal – ISAF (with Bronze Service Star), Afghanistan Campaign Medal (with three Bronze Service Stars), Army Achievement Medal (with Bronze Oak Leaf), Meritorious Unit Citation, Army Superior Unit Award, Joint Meritorious Unit Award, National Defense Service Medal (with Bronze Service Star), Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korean Defense Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon (4)
- State Bar of Texas
- Chairman, Military & Veterans Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the College of the State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Georgia
- Federal Bar Association
- Bell County Bar Association
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. (NAELA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project and Operation Stand-By
- Military and Veterans Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates, Inc. (NOVA)
- Association of the U.S. Army (AUSA)
- Military Officers Association of America (MOAA), Life Member
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), Life Member
- Judge Advocates Association
- Fort Hood Bar Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Veterans Assistance Committee
- Harris County Criminal Defense Attorneys Association
- Harker Heights Chamber of Commerce
LEGAL ARTICLES PUBLISHED:
- Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, Army Lawyer, Nov 1998, at 28, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/11-1998.pdf.
- Tax Benefits for Military Personnel in a Combat Zone or Qualified Hazardous Duty Area, Army Lawyer, Dec 1999, at 1, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/12-1999.pdf.
- Federal Income Tax Update for 2000, Army Lawyer, Dec 2000, at 11, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/12-2000.pdf.
- Federal Income Tax Update for 1999, Army Lawyer, Dec 1999, at 30, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/12-1999.pdf.
- Federal Income Tax Update for 1998, Army Lawyer, Nov 1998, at 43, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/11-1998.pdf.
- Tax Law Notes, Army Lawyer, Sep 1998, at 31, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/09-1998.pdf.
- Gifts Made Under a Durable Power of Attorney, Army Lawyer, November 2000, at 38, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/11-2000.pdf.
- Preparation of Tangible Personal Property Memorandums, Army Lawyer, July 2000, at 26, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/07-2000.pdf.
- Contract and Fiscal Law Developments of 1999 – The Year in Review, Army Lawyer, Jan 2000 (contributor), http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/01-2000.pdf.
- The New Military Thrift Savings Plan: Worth Consideration, Army Lawyer, Sep. 2000 at 1 (provided technical oversight on all tax issues in the article), http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/09-2000.pdf.
- Contract and Fiscal Law Developments of 1998 – The Year in Review, Army Lawyer, Jan 1999 (contributor), http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/01-1999.pdf.
- Survivor Benefits Notes, Army Lawyer, Oct 1998, at 52, http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/10-1998.pdf.
GENERAL ARTICLES PUBLISHED:
- International Women’s Day: Small in Stature, but a Giant Role Model for Women in Afghanistan, http://ntm-a-legalminute.blogspot.com/2010/03/international-womens-day-small-in.html
- Afghan Soldier, Lawyer and Hero, http://ntm-a-legalminute.blogspot.com/2010/04/afghan-soldier-lawyer-and-hero.html
- Tax Refund to Large? http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/dialogue/downloads/dialwi99.pdf